About the Sony HT-A9
Fill your room with high-quality sound
Sony's unique HT-A9 offers an easy way to get exciting surround sound with enveloping overhead effects. This powered, multi-speaker sound system offers support for Dolby Atmos and DTS:X for an expansive, cinematic soundstage with no need for an A/V receiver.
Each of the system's four speakers has a front-firing woofer, soft dome tweeter, and up-firing driver for overhead effects. They work together with Sony's 360 Spatial Sound Mapping, simulating up to 12 "phantom speakers" to make you feel like the sound is coming from every direction. Track the squealing wheels of a car as it zips from one end of the room to the other or feel the whoop-whoop of a helicopter as it hovers above.
Easy, flexible setup
Getting started is easy. Hook the control box up to your TV with the included HDMI cable. The speakers connect to the box wirelessly, so you won't need to worry about running speaker wire across your floor. And the system's sound mapping technology adjusts for both the shape of your room and the configuration of your speakers. This gives you the freedom to place them almost anywhere with access to AC power.
Built to play nice with BRAVIA TVs
The HT-A9 was made to pair up well with Sony BRAVIA TVs for easy control of the sound system's settings and volume with the TV's remote. Some BRAVIA TVs can even operate as the center channel in your sound system so dialogue comes right from the screen. Just connect the "S-center out" on the HT-A9's control box to the "S-center speaker in" on your compatible TV using the stereo mini cable included in the box.
Streaming music options aplenty
The HT-A9 comes with several built-in options for playing your music and other content wirelessly. There's Bluetooth built-in for mobile devices, plus Wi-Fi streaming for playing files on your home network. Apple AirPlay 2 makes it super-easy to play music and more from iOS® devices. Android™ fan? No problem. This system also streams content through Chromecast built-in, via a wide range of compatible apps.
You can even control the HT-A9 and make song selections using a Google Assistant or Amazon Alexa voice controller (sold separately).
Connect with HDMI
The control box's HDMI 2.1 connection allows 8K video passthrough or 4K at a super-sharp 120Hz refresh rate. The system's video passthrough also supports HDR (High Dynamic Range) formats like Dolby Vision, so you'll be able to maintain a high-contrast Ultra HD picture from your Blu-ray player or video game console through to your TV. With eARC (enhanced Audio Return Channel), you can also receive uncompressed audio signals — including Dolby Atmos — from an eARC-equipped TV.
If you have digital audio files stashed on your phone, you can play them on the HT-A9, and even upscale them with DSEE Extreme™ (Digital Sound Enhancement Engine). This lets you enjoy better sound with compressed formats like MP3.
Pump up your bass
Get more bass impact when you add an optional 200-watt SA-SW3 or 300-watt SA-SW5 powered subwoofer (sold separately). The HT-A9 system was designed to be complemented by these subs and they connect wirelessly for easy placement and setup.
- Featured in our article: Best wireless surround sound systems for 2023
- Wireless home theater surround sound system with support for Dolby Atmos and DTS:X
- 360 Spatial Sound Mapping calibrates the sound to match your room and speaker configuration for an expansive, immersive soundstage
Four speakers connect wirelessly with a control box that plugs into your TV via HDMI
- Each speaker has an up-firing driver, soft dome tweeter, and woofer
- Control box and speakers must be connected to AC power
- X-Balanced rectangular design helps the speakers deliver punchier bass and better clarity
- Press the Immersive AE button on your remote to add overhead effects and increased immersion to conventional surround soundtracks and stereo audio
- Integration with Sony BRAVIA TVs automatically adds your sound system's settings to the TV's Quick Settings menu
Acoustic Center Sync lets the system and a compatible Sony BRAVIA TV work together to reproduce dialogue and other center channel sounds
- requires an additional stereo mini connection (cable included)
- Plays high-res audio files
- DSEE Extreme™ uses artificial intelligence to upscale compressed digital files in real time
360 Reality Audio delivers an immersive music listening experience with compatible music streaming services
- Works with 360 Reality Audio tracks on Deezer, TIDAL, and more (subscription may be required)
- Compatible with optional SA-SW3 or SA-SW5 wireless subwoofers for powerful bass (sold separately)
- Built-in Wi-Fi and Bluetooth for wireless music streaming from compatible devices
- Built-in Spotify® Connect for music streaming
- Apple AirPlay 2 lets you easily stream from iOS® devices
- Chromecast built-in lets you stream from the cloud with compatible mobile apps
- Control the system with your voice using a Google Assistant or Amazon Alexa device (sold separately)
- User interface displays on your compatible TV screen to make adjusting your sound easy
Connections and general info:
1 HDMI 2.1 input, 1 output (cable included)
- Input is HDCP 2.3 compatible for connecting to copy-protected 4K video sources
- Supports enhanced Audio Return Channel (eARC)
- 8K and 4K/120Hz video passthrough with support for Dolby Vision
- Ethernet port for a stable, secure wired connection
- Includes remote control
- Dimensions: 5-15/16"W x 2-1/16"H x 7-1/2"D (control box); 6-5/16"W x 12-3/8"H x 5-13/16"D (speakers)
- Weight: 1.6 lbs. (control box); 6 lbs. (each speaker)
What's in the box:
- Sony HT-A9 owner's manual
- Wireless hub
- 4 Wireless powered speakers
- AC power adapter (attached 58" DC cor)
- Four 5' AC power cords
- Remote control (RMT-AH508U)
- 58" HDMI cable
- 6.5' Stereo minijack cable
- Operating Instructions
- Startup Guide
- Product Registration
- Warranty Information
- Troubleshooting Note