About the Denon AVR-X3800H
Create a home theater with audiophile sound
Some music and video enthusiasts may think you can't get true-to-life music quality along with a realistic theater experience from a single receiver. Denon's AVR-X3800H is here to show you that you can. With nine channels of robust amplification and high-resolution audio processing, this surround sound powerhouse can give you the best of both worlds.
What's new with Denon?
With the X3800H, Denon has expanded its feature set for the growing 8K video and next-gen gaming market. The previous lineup of Denon home theater receivers introduced limited 8K processing, along with gaming features like Variable Refresh Rate (VRR), Auto Low Latency Mode (ALLM), and Quick Frame Transport (QFT). These features have been applied to the AVR-X3800H on all six HDMI inputs and two of the three HDMI outputs, so you can accommodate even more modern tech into your system.
More options for system calibration
Denon still includes the excellent Audyssey speaker calibration suite to tune your theater sound to your space. Coming in 2023, you'll also have the option to purchase and download the Dirac Live® advanced speaker calibration program to your Mac® or PC. Fine-tune the output of your system to match the unique sonic characteristics of your space and bring your surround sound to exciting new heights.
Plentiful options for speaker setups
The AVR-X3800H has outputs for 11 speakers, and it can power up to nine at the same time. This gives you the flexibility to choose from different home theater and wired multi-room music configurations.
Use all nine channels in a 5.1.4 or 7.1.2 Dolby Atmos® or DTS:X™ system, or go with a more modest surround sound setup and repurpose the extra channels for music in another zone. If you don't have height speakers, you can still enjoy simulated overhead effects with Dolby Atmos Height Virtualization.
You can even expand your system beyond the receiver's nine built-in channels of power. Its 11-channel RCA preamp outputs make it a respectable preamp/processor if you want to add separate amplifiers.
Four subwoofer outputs
One of the most exciting features on this new receiver, in my opinion, is the inclusion of four (you read that right, FOUR) subwoofer outputs! Fellow bass-heads rejoice! Using multiple powered subs obviously gives you more bass, but also more balanced bass. Choose the "Standard" subwoofer setting for evenly distributed bass performance throughout the room, or "Directional" to tailor each sub's bass performance to the closest speaker.
Enjoy music your way
If you're like me, you'll use your new receiver to play music in addition to watching movies. The AVR-X3800H lets you stream tunes from your phone or tablet through Wi-Fi, Bluetooth, and even Apple AirPlay 2. It will also show up in your player list if you're using Roon (subscription required).
Love spinning vinyl? This receiver has a built-in phono input for your turntable. And if you've carefully curated an awesome digital music library, you can play high-resolution tracks from a USB drive or networked computer.
Expand your system with HEOS Built-in
HEOS Built-in technology lets you access all of your music — from your personal library, internet radio, and popular streaming services like Pandora, Spotify, and TIDAL through the X3800H.
This receiver can be easily integrated into a wireless multi-room audio system as well. Stream music to HEOS wireless speakers and components in different rooms, and control each room's sound independently with the free HEOS app.
The app lets you control playback, browse music sources, and select which rooms you want to use. Play the same music throughout your home or listen to something different in each room.
Just ask Alexa...
The HEOS Home Entertainment skill for Amazon Alexa lets you use your Echo devices to issue voice commands to the AVR-X3800H. You can easily switch inputs and control volume and playback on the receiver and other HEOS enabled devices.
Alexa can also help you search for music and stream different content to different rooms in your multi-room HEOS system.
...or your Google Assistant
The AVR-X3800H is also compatible with Google Assistant-enabled devices. Launch a song in the HEOS app, and then ask your compatible voice controller or Google Pixel phone to change volume, play, pause, skip tracks, and more.
Power and processing:
- 9-channel amplifier
- 105 watts per channel into 8 ohms (20-20,000 Hz) at 0.08% THD, with 2 channels driven
- Dolby, DTS, and Auro-3D surround sound decoding
- Dolby Atmos and DTS Neural:X processing for use with in-ceiling or "height" speakers for more enveloping home theater sound
- Dolby Atmos Height Virtualization and DTS Virtual:X create three-dimensional effects without height speakers
- IMAX® Enhanced reproduces the full dynamic range of specially encoded IMAX soundtracks from compatible sources
- Audyssey speaker calibration and system optimization includes:
- MultEQ XT32 auto setup and room calibration delivers balanced, dynamic sound with enhanced surround performance
- Dynamic Volume anticipates loud sounds to keep volume levels even
- Dynamic EQ improves dialogue, bass response, and surround channel levels at lower volumes
- Sub EQ HT provides individual calibration for four subwoofers, for even bass response throughout the room
- Low Frequency Containment reduces the amount of bass that bleeds into other rooms
- Audyssey MultEQ Editor app for further audio customization (paid app; not included)
- 360 Reality Audio creates an immersive, realistic music experience when connected to a compatible streaming device via HDMI
- Future compatibility with optional Dirac Live advanced speaker calibration system (coming soon in 2023; requires purchase of software license)
- Requires installation of Dirac Live software on a Mac or PC prior to calibration
Digital and streaming music options:
- Built-in Wi-Fi for listening to music from a networked PC, free internet radio, and music services
- HEOS Built-in technology wirelessly connects compatible HEOS components for whole home audio
- Includes support for TuneIn, Pandora, SiriusXM, and Spotify (subscription required for some services)
- Free HEOS app offers easy Wi-Fi control, settings adjustments, and music selection and playback
- Works with Amazon Alexa and Google Assistant voice controllers
- Apple AirPlay 2 lets you stream directly from an iPhone or iPad and ask Siri to play Apple Music
- Supports multi-room audio with compatible wireless speakers
- Built-in Bluetooth for wireless music listening with smartphones, tablets, and compatible computers
- Bluetooth transmission for sending audio from the receiver to Bluetooth-enabled headphones
- Play audio through Bluetooth headphones only, or through Bluetooth headphones and connected speakers simultaneously
- Plays high-resolution digital music files via USB storage device or a networked computer (PCM up to 24-bit/192kHz resolution; DSD up to 5.6 MHz)
- Works as a Roon player (requires subscription and Roon Core running on your network)
- Roon Core is media server software that runs on your computer, NAS drive, or other compatible hardware
- Dual-room/dual-source output
- Amp assign function lets you use surround back speaker outputs for front height, Zone 2, Front B, or bi-amping front speakers
- Using powered 2nd-room output allows 7.4-channel sound in main room
- Line-level 2nd-room output for use with a separate amplifier or powered speakers
- All Zone Stereo mode ensures that both zones stay in sync when playing the same source
- All Zone TV Audio lets you play surround sound in your main room and down mixed stereo in your 2nd room
- Supports both analog and digital audio connections
- HDMI dual-zone switching for watching video content from different sources in two zones simultaneously
- Zone 2 compatible audio sources: HDMI audio, optical/coaxial digital inputs, analog audio inputs, AM/FM tuner, USB, Bluetooth, and HEOS music apps
- Cannot select different USB/Bluetooth/network sources for each zone
- HDMI 2.1 audio/video switching: 6 in, 3 out
- All inputs and 2 out of 3 outputs support 8K/60Hz and 4K/120Hz video
- All inputs and outputs support 4K/60Hz video
- HDCP 2.3 technology ensures compatibility with Ultra HD sources and TVs
- HDR-compatible for extended picture contrast and brightness with compatible TVs and HDR-encoded content
- Supports HDR10, HDR10+, Dolby Vision®, Dynamic HDR, and HLG
- 3D signal pass-through
- Gaming-optimized video processing technologies for a smooth, lag-free gaming experience
- Variable Refresh Rate (VRR), Auto Low Latency Mode (ALLM), Quick Frame Transport (QFT), and Quick Media Switching (QMS) reduce or eliminate lag and frame tearing
- eARC receives uncompressed surround sound signals including Dolby Atmos and DTS:X via the HDMI connection with your compatible TV
- Digital audio inputs: 2 Toslink optical, 2 coaxial
- 5 analog stereo RCA audio inputs
- MM (moving magnet) phono input for connecting a turntable
- 11.4-channel preamp outputs
- add a stereo amplifier to expand your system to 11 channels
- Four discrete line-level subwoofer outputs for more precise multi-subwoofer setups
- Front-panel USB port for audio playback from USB flash drives
- Ethernet port for network connection
- outputs for 11 speakers (Front L/R, Center, Surround L/R, Surround Back L/R, Height1 L/R, Height2 L/R)
- receiver can power a maximum of 9 channels at once
- RS-232C, remote (IR), and 12-volt trigger connections for use with optional third-party controller
- Full-sized headphone jack
- Removable power cord
- Free Denon AVR Remote app lets you use your Apple® or Android™ device as a Wi-Fi remote
- Setup Assistant guides you through the initial connection process and settings
- HDMI standby pass-through allows HDMI switching without powering up receiver
- Intuitive, full-color on-screen guide
- AM/FM tuner
- Remote control
- 17-1/8"W x 6-5/8"H x 15-5/16"D (9-5/16"H with Wi-Fi antennas raised)
- Weight: 27.6 lbs.
What's in the box:
- Denon AVR-X3800H owner's manual
- 9.4ch AV receiver
- 6' AC power cord
- Remote control (RC-1253)
- 2 AAA batteries
- Sound calibration microphone (ACM1HB)
- 2 WiFi/Bluetooth antennas
- FM wire antenna
- AM loop antenna
- Cardboard microphone stand
- Quick Start Guide
- Warranty Information
- Safety Instructions
- Notes on radio
- Sheet of self-adhesive cable labels
- Spotify brochure
- Heos brochure
- Microphone Stand Assembly Instructions
- Bluetooth/WiFi Certified note
- Optional Dirac Live note